Mircea Eliade "From Primitives to Zen": PRAYERS OF DERVISHES
I have naught but my destitution
To plead for me with Thee.
And in my poverty I put forward that destitution as my plea.
I have no power save to knock at Thy door,
And if I be turned away, at what door shall I knock?
Or on whom shall I call, crying his name,
If Thy generosity is refused to Thy destitute one?
Far be it from Thy generosity to drive the disobedient one to despair!
Generosity is more freehanded than that.
In lowly wretchedness I have come to Thy door,
Knowing that degradation there finds help.
In full abandon I put my trust in Thee,
Stretching out my hands to Thee, a pleading beggar.
[Attributed to 'Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani' as well as 'Abuyad al-Tijani' ]
Man and the Sacred | Main Menu | Keyword Search
Books by Mircea Eliade:
- Mircea Eliade, Willard R. Trask, Wendy Doniger “Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy (Bollingen Series (General))”
- Mircea Eliade “Two Strange Tales”
- Mircea Eliade “The Forge and the Crucible: The Origins and Structure of Alchemy”
- Mircea Eliade, Willard R. Trask “Rites and Symbols of Initiation: The Mysteries of Birth and Rebirth”
- Mircea Eliade, Alf Hiltebeitel, Diane Apostolos-Cappadona “A History of Religious Ideas: From Muhammad to the Age of Reforms (History of Religious Ideas) Vol.3”
- Mircea Eliade, Mac Linscott Ricketts “Journal IV, 1979-1985 (Journal)”
- Mircea Eliade, Willard R. Trask “History of Religious Ideas, Volume 2: From Gautama Buddha to the Triumph of Christianity (History of Religious Ideas)”
- Mircea Eliade “Autobiography, Volume 2: 1937-1960, Exile's Odyssey (Autobiography / Mircea Eliade)”
- Mircea Eliade, Willard R. Trask “Yoga : Immortality and Freedom”
- Mircea Eliade, Philip Mairet “Images and Symbols”
- Mircea Eliade, Willard R. Trask “The Myth of the Eternal Return: Or, Cosmos and History”